Cambrian News photographer - Aberystwyth’s Steff Rees in the thick of the action

ABERYSTWYTH registered a convincing 49-25 win over Tenby United in a cracking match between two sides who were intent on attack at every opportunity, and belied their lowly league positions in Division One West.

Cambrian News reported “The quality shown, particularly in the support running and off-loading throughout was of the highest quality, and a real credit to both teams.

Tenby opened the scoring with an early penalty goal by No 10 Lloyd Thomas, but the next period of the game belonged to the home team.

They subjected Tenby to a series of attacks with strong carries, which eventually stretched their defence and Carwyn Evans, with a typical strong run burst through and a sumptuous off load gave co-centre Mathew Hughes a try. which was converted by outside half Steff Rees.

Their next try came after Aber won good line-out possession in the Tenby 22, and with a controlled disciplined drive forced Tenby over their line for hooker Geraint Evans to claim the try, converted by Rees.

Aber’s defence was resolute during this period and the homesters thwarted a promising Tenby attack by stealing possession after a tackle and clearing their lines efficiently.

The next try for Aber came after a dominant scrum on half-way. The ball was moved to left winger Dylan Evans who ran strongly, veered infield, and was tackled, but from the ensuing ruck scrum-half Gruff Jones spotted the absence of pillars and broke through to score another try, again converted by Steff Rees.

Tenby were next to enjoy a purple patch and shocked Aber with two quick tries, the first after a series of thrusts worked winger Geraint Powell clear to score in the corner.

Their next try was very similar where following some quick off-loads in the Aber 22 full back Jack Tucker ran clear to score wide-out. Both tries went unconverted.

Aber secured their try bonus score point on the stroke of half-time when following a prolonged attack in the Tenby 22 they were penalised.

Carwyn Evans took a quick penalty and ran through a disorganised defence to score a fine try. which was again converted by Steff Rees.

This gave Aber a half-time lead of 28-13 which was thoroughly deserved due to strong ball carrying by both forwards and backs, the scrum which was becoming increasingly dominant as the game wore on, and their eagerness to run good support lines to support ball carriers.

Aber scored first in the second half with arguably the best try of the game when following a series of lovely off-loads just before contact Carwyn Evans burst through to score and excellent team try by the posts, again converted by Steff Rees.

It was Tenby who scored next when some indecision and uncharacteristically poor tackling led to a Tenby try wide out on the right.

Aber’s scrum was becoming increasingly dominant and were awarded a number of penalties.

They were careless in the ensuing line-outs and lost possession unfortunately in good field positions.

Aber made up for the indiscretions by scoring an excellent set-piece try. From a dominant scrum they moved the ball right and left-winger Dylan Evans came into the line at pace and crossed the line without a hand laid on him. Steff Rees again converted.

Tenby never gave up and came back strongly, and after some strong carries flanker Jack Davies dived over for a try converted by Pugh.

The final score gave Aber’s dominant scrum their just rewards when the referee , who had a fine game, awarded Aber a penalty try when the Tenby scrum illegally denied Aber a probable push over try.

Even though they failed to score the last move of the match typified Aber’s performance on the day when defending deep in their own 22 Owain Bonsall won a crucial turn-over, the ball was moved right to find to find skipper Arwel Lloyd on the right wing, who kicked the ball through up to the Tenby line and chased, but were unfortunately unable to regain possession and the visitors managed to clear their lines.

This was a committed disciple performance by Aber who thoroughly deserved the bonus point win.

Skipper Arwel Lloyd led from the front ably supported by his pack notably Tom Evans and James Plumbridge. The backs also contributed greatly to the win with strong determined running. Outside-half Steff Rees deservedly won the man of the match award for his assured distribution and his impeccable kicking off the tee and out of hand” here.