Photographer: unnamed

ABERYSTWYTH Town are through to a mouth-watering Welsh Cup semi-final tie against mid Wales rivals Newtown after they beat Carmarthen Town 3-1 at Richmond Park on Tuesday night.

The Cambrian News reported “Joe Phillips had headed Aberystwyth in front midway through the first half, before well-taken strikes from John Owen and Malcolm Melvin gave the Seasiders breathing space.

Liam Thomas did pull one back for the Old Gold, who also had another ruled out late on for offside, but the Seasiders progressed to a last four showdown.

Newtown meanwhile ran out 2-0 winners over Llandudno in a fiery clash at the Giant Hospitality Stadium.

Neil Mitchell got the Robins’ first goal, just moments after Llandudno ‘keeper Patrik Rutter had saved a penalty from Alex Fletcher.

Kieran Mills-Evans then went close to getting a second for the visitors, his header being cleared off the line, before Rutter was sent off for bringing down Nick Rushton as the striker broke on the counter with minutes to play.

With Llandudno boss Iwan Williams having to see out the remaining time in goal, Rushton wrapped things up in the final minute of injury time to send the Robins through.

JD Welsh Premier League leaders The New Saints had their eight season run of reaching the Semi-Finals ended as they lost 2-1 away at Connah’s Quay Nomads.

Aeron Edwards had fired the visitors in front on two minuites, only for Michael Bakare to level five minutes later with a free-kick.

The decisive moment came shortly after the break as Nomads forward Andy Owens was brought down in the box, and Callum Morris converted the resulting penalty to put the home side in front.

Steve Saunders fired over from close range for the Saints as they pushed for a leveller, while Owens struck the crossbar from similar distance for Nomads.

The visitors’ late pressing came to nothing, and Nomads advance to a semi-final meeting with Bangor City.

The Citizens were in seventh heaven as they ended the incredible journey of minnows Penydarren BGC to reach the last four on Sunday.

The side from the South Wales Alliance League Premier Division – the fifth tier of Welsh football – were never a match for their Welsh Premier opponents as they went down 7-0 at Nantporth.

The Citizens went ahead on 11 minutes when Luke Wall found the top corner, and they doubled their tally after 23 minutes when Steven Hewitt prodded home from close range after a George Harry strike was initially parried.

After the break Bangor went further clear through Yves Zama, before Wall burst clear and slotted home his second of the afternoon.

Zama added his second before Wall completed a hat-trick and Zama also claimed a treble with a stoppage time penalty” here.

Leave a Reply