Cambrian News photographer - Wes Baynes gets his strike away against Cardiff Met.

ABERYSTWYTH Town were brought crashing back down to earth with a 4-1 home defeat at the hands of Cardiff Met, on an evening where nothing seemed to go right for the Seasiders.

The Cambrian News reported “First half goals from Eliot Evans, with a brace, and Sam Snaith set the students on their way and Chris Baker gave the visitors an unassailable four-goal advantage.

Wes Baynes pulled one goal back with an excellent low volley, but there was to be no way back for Neville Powell’s men.

Aber named an unchanged outfield side from their win over Llandudno, with the only change coming in goal, where new signing Terry McCormick replaced the injured local goalkeeper Leigh Jenkins.

Christian Edwards’ Met side started the sharpest as Will Evans tested McCormick, but Aber registered their first shot on goal when Declan Walker’s low effort went straight at goalkeeper Alex Lang.

The hosts were struggling to get to grips with the visitors’ shape and mobility, and on 16 minutes they took a deserved lead when Will Evans played in Eliot Evans, who struck his low left-footed shot into the bottom right corner of the Aber net.

Try as they might, Aber seemed unable to respond as the visitors made it difficult to create any clear-cut chances with their rigid and organised defensive shape.

Ryan Edwards showed a glimpse of brilliance, before whipping a dangerous cross into the penalty area, but visiting goalkeeper Lang dealt with it expertly.

Then, on 38 minutes the visitors doubled their lead as Matt Neale headed the ball across the penalty area, and the ball fell kindly for Eliot Evans to tap home his second goal of the night for the students.

On 42 minutes came the real sucker punch as Sam Snaith latched on to a loose ball before rounding McCormick and tapping into an empty net for 0-3.

Aber came out for the second half with more purpose and intensity, as they fought to find a way back into the game.

Local lad Mathew Jones and Joe Phillips began to control more of the midfield, and on 53 minutes Edwards fed Walker, whose low effort went inches wide.

On the hour, Aber substitutes Nashawn Blake and Jack Rimmer replaced Paolo Mendes and Phillips, but on 65 minutes Met grabbed their fourth goal of the evening to completely kill off the game.

Chris Baker stole the ball in midfield before seeing his shot take a huge deflection and land in the bottom corner of the net .

The goal summed up Aber’s evening, but on 66 minutes Ryan Edwards chipped a pass towards Wes Baynes, who struck a superb half volley across goal and into the far corner of the net to make it 1-4.

Evans went close to grabbing his hat-trick at the other end, but on 80 minutes, substitute Geoff Kellaway’s front post flick was well saved by Lang in goal, as Aber fell to defeat at the hands of a well organised and clinical Cardiff Met side.

ABERYSTWYTH: T McCormick, W Baynes, S Edwards, R Wollacott, P Mendes (J Rimmer 60 minutes), P Ahmadi (G Kellaway 74’), D Walker, R Edwards, L Jenkins, M Jones, J Phillips (N Blake 60’). Substitutes not used: A Williams, E Assi, H Rowe, L Berner.

CARDIFF MET: A Lang, E Lewis, K McCarthy, J Edwards, D Rees, C Baker, D Spencer (B Bowler 84’), M Neale (R Thomas 68’), E Evans, W Evans, S Snaith (H Owen 52’). Subs not used: M Swindlehurst, G Williams, E Aalto (gk). Attendance: 255. Referee: R Jenkins” here.

Leave a Reply