Cambrian News photographer - Aberystwyth's Steff Edwards challenges for the ball.

TWO goals from Geoff Kellaway ensured that Aberystwyth Town marched on in the Nathaniel MG Cup with a 3-1 first round victory at Mid Wales League side Welshpool Town on Tuesday night.

Cambrian News reported “The hosts had taken a shock lead through Ricky Litchfield’s 47th minute lob from distance, but the Seasiders swiftly hit back with Joe Phillips levelling on 53 minutes, before Kellaway sealed victory with a well-taken brace on 59 and 88 minutes.

Aber controlled possession from the start on a pleasant evening at Maesydre, with Declan Walker prominent, but they couldn’t quite find their cutting edge.

Last season’s top scorer Walker headed wide from Wes Baynes’ cross, before cutting back for Phillips to fire over the bar. Baynes then curled an attempt over the bar, and Walker found the side-netting after a mazy dribble as Aber stepped up.

Paolo Mendes then brought the first save of the game from Welshpool keeper Dave Littleford with a cute attempt towards the far corner.

Welshpool pressed on the break, with left back Sam Bowers doing his best to get some balls in, but attempts from Jake Mann and James Clewlow went high and wide, and the half ended goalless.

An unexpected goal fest ensued after the interval, however, with Welshpool taking the lead when Litchfield’s 35 yard lob fooled Leigh Jenkins in the Seasiders’ goal.

The introduction of Geoff Kellaway down the wing gave Aber added impetus going forward, and when his shot was deflected for a corner the visitors equalised.

Baynes’ corner was flicked on by Ahamdi and the industrious Phillips nicked in at the back post to tap home.

Walker curled a free kick over, and then minutes later a deep cross from Baynes found Kellaway at the back post, and he showed a poacher’s instinct to give Aber the lead from close range.

Clewlow curled an effort wide for Welshpool, but then back down the hill came Aber with the experienced Kellaway twice being denied from close range.

With Aber now seemingly in control, sub Alec Williams was denied by a last ditch tackle, Nashawn Blake headed a cross wide, and Williams then Kellaway were again denied.

Returning goalkeeper Leigh Jenkins was replaced by Terry McCormick after a recurrence of his injury, and then finally with two minutes to go, Aber sealed their win.

The hard working Blake raced to the by line and his cut back was laid off by Williams, for Kellaway to score Aber’s killer third goal with a low drive to put the game to bed.

Without ever reaching their very best at Maesydre, Aberystwyth were still good enough to progress into the second round, and it was a case of job done.

WELSHPOOL TOWN: Littleford, S Jones, Bowers (Jenkins 89), S Evans, MacLoed, R Evans, Mann, Litchfield, Clewlow (Morgan 70), Probert, Baker (J Jones 68).

ABERYSTWYTH TOWN: Leigh Jenkins (McCormick 77), Baynes, Edwards, Rimmer, Mendes (Kellaway HT), Ahmadi (Williams 60), Walker, Lee Jenkins, Jones, Blake, Phillips” here.