Cambrian News photographer.

Aberystwyth Firsts (160 all out) beat Aberystwyth Seconds (120 for 9) by 40 runs

Cambrian News reported “ABERYSTWYTH Firsts notched their first win of the season in the Girasol Homes West Wales Conference when they beat the club’s second team by 40 runs.

They raced to 100 in 19 overs, thanks to some whirlwind hitting from Zaid Khan (41), supported by Griff Jones (19) and Adam Shaw (20), who has returned to the fold after a couple of seasons away.

The introduction of slow bowler Malcolm McHugh to the Seconds’ attack in the 11th over had soon brought dividends as his accuracy slowed down the run rate, largely by dismissing Khan, out lbw for a total of 41 (four 4s and one 6).

After the drinks break, McHugh caused a middle order collapse, dismissing Shaw (20), Ioan Morris (5) and Nigel Salmon (9), while Sion Meredith also dismissed newcomer Phil Woodland for 12 runs.

McHugh took his fifth wicket, Alfie Lawson, to leave Aber reeling at 134 for 7.

Skipper Ted Trewella, however, batted well for his 29 not out and, with the support from youngsters Dylan Jenkins and Bryn Morris, took the score to 160, before Emlyn Mainwaring returned to claim the last two wickets in only the 33rd over. McHugh finished with the fine figures of 9-4-20-5, well supported by Mainwaring (2 for 43) and Anthony Evans (1 for 8).

The reply by Aberystwyth Seconds got off to a disastrous start as four wickets fell for only 18 runs. Mel Jones and Peter Evans both fell lbw to Martin Llewelyn and Nigel Salmon respectively, before Salmon also dismissed Sion Meredith, when well caught by Zaid Khan for 12, and Alwyn Davies, another lbw victim.

This brought Anthony Evans and McHugh to the crease and together they sought to repair the damage. Evans defended and McHugh took toll of some loose bowling after Salmon and Llewelyn were rested, though McHugh was well caught for 24 from the bowling of Bryn Morris. Steff Davies and Austin Thomas looked in good form, but both were dismissed to leave the Seconds at 73 for 7.

Emlyn Mainwaring then proceeded to bat really well – with stout defence interspersed with strong shots against shorter deliveries. Together, he and Evans took the score past 100, before Evans (20) retired and youngster Dan Graison scored the final runs, before he was bowled out by Dylan Jenkins from the final ball.

Mainwaring was left with 26 not out – a sterling effort indeed. Nigel Salmon’s 9-2-19-3 was the best bowling performance, earning him the Firsts’ Man of the Match award, with Malcolm McHugh winning the award for the Seconds.

• Aberaeron were in Welsh Cup action at Vicarage Fields against Girasol Homes West Wales Conference rivals Commoners, whose innings collapsed to 56 all out on their way to a nine-wicket defeat.

Opener Ravi Mander (30) was the only Commoners’ batsman to offer any resistance as wickets fell to Aberaeron bowlers Hywel Rees (3 for 22), Steffan Rees (3 for 24) and Simon Mitchell (2 for 9).

Aberaeron passed the post on 57 for 1 with plenty of wickets to spare, the runs coming from Chris Strange (28 not out) and John Fice (19 not out). The only wicket to fall was that of Dave Grinszpan, who was bowled out by Chris Ward.

Elsewhere in the competition, Talybont conceded their match to Llangennech” here.

Leave a Reply