Cambrian News photographer - Llandudno get a shot away against Aberystwyth.

JONNY Spittle’s 90th minute header snatched a thrilling last-gasp 3-2 victory at Llandudno, as Aberystwyth gained their first league win of the season in a see-saw affair battle at Maesdu Park.

The Cambrian News reported “After a goalless opening half, Declan Walker had put Aber in front, only for Toby Jones and Danny Taylor to turn the tables for Llandudno in a three-minute spell around the hour.

An own goal from Danny Shaw then put Aber back on level terms with six minutes to go, before skipper Spittle headed home from a free-kick against his former club to steal three points.

Early chances had seen Llandudno’s Ryan Edwards put in a good delivery for Marc Williams, who headed straight at goalkeeper Chris Mullock.

A defensive mix up then presented Williams with another good opportunity, but he scooped the ball over the bar, and Toby Jones also fired a powerful effort just over during a promising start from Alan Morgan’s men.

Aber, however, got a grip on the game and livewire Ryan Wade fired narrowly wide in his number 10 role, behind front man Luke Borrelli.

The visitors continued to grow into the game as Joe Phillips and John Owen delivered dangerous crosses into the penalty area, but a keenly-fought first half ended goalless.

Aberystwyth finally made the breakthrough seven minutes after the break, as Ashley Young’s deep corner kick was brilliantly headed into the roof of the net by Declan Walker.

Llandudno reacted well and Ryan Edwards unleashed a shot from 25 yards just wide of the post, and then on 59 minutes Toby Jones levelled matters when he rifled a great effort into the far corner of Mullock’s net.

Three minutes later, the home side were in front as Danny Taylor laid the ball off to Toby Jones, who forced Mullock into a great save, only for Taylor to then fire in the rebound.

Aber responded well, but Llandudno almost sealed it when Sam Hart latched onto a corner at the back post and unleashed a ferocious volley, but Mullock pulled off a fantastic save.

On 84 minutes, however, it was all square as Mathew Jones sent a deep cross over to Ryan Wade, who brought the ball down superbly and drilled it across the six yard box, where home defender Danny Shaw deflected the ball into his own net.

With both sides searching for a winner in the closing stages, Borrelli shot straight at home keeper Dave Roberts, but then, as the game entered into stoppage time, Aber were awarded a free kick about 30 yards from goal.

Ashley Young lofted the ball into the box, and after a deflection had looped the ball high into the air, Spittle rose highest to nod in a dramatic winner.

LLANDUDNO: D Roberts, D Taylor, J Joyce, D Shaw, D Hughes, M Williams, R Edwards, S Hart (S Cavanagh 90), M Williams, T Dix, T Jones. Subs not used: L Thomas, O Jones, P Rutter (gk), A Hassall.

ABER: C Mullock, D Walker, J Spittle, R Wollacott, M Melvin, J Owen (J Rimmer 88), L Borrelli (J Culshaw 90’+2), R Wade, M Jones, A Young, J Phillips (C Hobson 63). Subs: J McKenna. Attendance: 309″ here.

Leave a Reply