PUPILS CLAIMED TO HAVE THREATENED TO ‘SHOOT AND KILL CHILDREN AND TEACHERS’...

PUPILS CLAIMED TO HAVE THREATENED TO ‘SHOOT AND KILL CHILDREN AND TEACHERS’ IN ABER SCHOOL

0
Penglais School in Aberystwyth where two 15-year-old pupils are claimed to have threatened to 'shoot and kill' teachers and pupils (Image: Google Maps)

Police are investigating following claims two children at a Welsh school threatened to ‘shoot pupils and staff’.

Wales Online reported “It is believed that the alleged incident involving two 15-year-old students at Penglais secondary school in Aberystwyth happened last Friday.

Officers said a search had been carried out at the students’ home addresses and no weapons had been found.

Parents said they were told by pupils that threats had been made to “shoot and kill children and teachers”, Cambrian News has reported.

It was also reported that concerned parents had taken to social media saying they had been “left in the dark” after rumours of the threats emerged.

One of the comments included was from a parent who claimed the school “should have informed parents about it”.

“At least give us peace of mind that they’d sorted it and there was no need for concern,” she said.

“But they didn’t and now there’s going to be an uproar about how it was dealt with.

“A pupil threatening to shoot and kill children and teachers is no laughing matter.”

The news report said Penglais School headteacher Mair Hughes had sent a letter to parents at 9.10am on Tuesday morning.

It was reported to have said: “As a school we are aware that safeguarding concerns have been raised by students regarding comments made about an alleged incident taking place on Friday.

“The school has been working alongside the local authority and the police, and we can reassure staff, parents and students that all necessary control measures have been taken to negate any risks and there is no threat to student safety on Friday.”

A spokeswoman for Dyfed-Powys Police said: “Dyfed-Powys Police is investigating a report concerning threats made to pupils at Penglais School by two 15-year-olds.

“A search warrant has been carried out at their home addresses and no weapons were found. Arrangements have been made for voluntary interviews to take place with the two individuals concerned and the investigation continues.”

It’s understood that no arrests have been made in connection with the incident.

A spokesman for Ceredigion County Council said: “Penglais School are aware that safeguarding concerns have been raised by students regarding comments made about an alleged planned incident.

“The safety and welfare of all at the school is a priority. The school has been, and is still working alongside the County Council and Dyfed-Powys Police.

“Staff, students and parents are reassured that all necessary safety measures have been taken to negate any risks and there is no threat to people’s safety.

“Pupils or parents who have any concerns can contact the school to discuss further” here.

 

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: