Cambrian News photographer - Aberystwyth's Mattie Jones in action against Carmarthen.

ABERYSTWYTH Town made the perfect start as they kept alive their hopes of securing a Europa League Play Off place with a well-deserved 3-2 win over Carmarthen Town at Park Avenue.

Cambrian News reported “Ryan Wollacott poked home the opener after six minutes, and then Geoff Kellaway blasted home a second goal with less than a quarter of an hour played.

Luke Bowen brought Carmarthen back into it on 28 minutes, and the visitors pressed for long periods, only for an own goal from ex-Seasider Lee Surman to make it 3-1 with 22 minutes remaining.

Liam Thomas pulled another goal back in the 81st minute, but Aber held on for a big win, which equals last season’s tally of 37 points, with five games still to go.

After their fantastic win over Cardiff Met last time out, the Seasiders made one change, with young keeper Adam Walters coming in for Terry McCormick.

The hosts enjoyed a dream start when Wes Baynes’ deep cross fell to Declan Walker, and his low shot was parried by Lee Idzi right into the path of Wollacott, who tapped home from close range.

Geoff Kellaway then burst through on the right and hit the side-netting, but on 11 minutes Kellaway played a beautiful one-two with Ashley Ruane before slamming home yet another Goal of the Month contender from out on the right.

Carmarthen’s Mael Davies sent an effort over the bar and Luke Cummings brought a smart save out of Walters, but Ruane almost capitalised on a sloppy back pass to further extend the lead.

The visitors were right back in it just before the half hour, however, as Cummings again burst down the right and crossed for Bowen to tap the ball home.

Walters twice denied his namesake Greg Walters, and Wollacott pulled off a great tackle to deny a goal, but at the other end Kellaway just failed to control a super ball from Mattie Jones, and Steff Edwards also fired wide for the hosts.

In first half injury time Carmarthen’s Liam Thomas headed wide from a free kick in a dangerous area, and ?the Old Gold went on to dominate the early stages of the second half as Aber sat back.

Determined tackling from the likes of Paolo Mendes and man of the match Declan Walker restricted their chances.

Walters fired wide, Lee Surman glanced a header over from Cummings’ free kick, Liam Thomas tapped wide from Jordan Vickers’ cross and Vickers saw his shot from out wide touched for a corner.

For the Seasiders, Mattie Jones’ surges down the left resulted in some dangerous crosses, one of which just evaded Ruane.

The industrious Marc Williams turned on the edge of the area and curled an effort just over, and then on 68 minutes another excellent cross from Jones skewed into the back of the net off the unfortunate Surman for Aber’s killer third goal.

There was however a quarter of the game still to play and although Mendes hooked over from a corner it was a rather nervous ending to the game for Aber.

Walters saved from Bowen, and then with nine minutes left Thomas made the most of a defensive mix up to make it 3-2.

The hosts however defended stoutly through the remaining nine plus five minutes – and Mattie Jones, picked for the Wales C Squad in midweek, could have capped a superb few days with a goal.

Kellaway played him in, but with the Dias Stand primed to celebrate, his shot skewed just wide. It did not matter however, as Aber held on for a crucial victory.

ABERYSTWYTH: A Walters, W Baynes, S Edwards, R Wollacott, G Kellaway (N Coleridge 90’), P Mendes, M Williams, D Walker, R Edwards, M Jones, A Ruane (J McDaid 83’). Subs: H Cottam, C Morgan

CARMARTHEN: L Idzi, D Vincent, L Cummings, C Morgan, J Vickers (S Hanbury 87’), L Surman, L Bowen, A O’Kelly, G Walters, L Thomas, M Davies. Subs not used: J Woodford, C Hanford, D Thomas, N Smothers. Ref: I Griffith. Attendance: 288″ here.

Leave a Reply