Cambrian News photographer - Aberystwyth’s Ashley Ruane challenges Emlyn Lewis.

A DOUBLE from in-form Marc Williams earned Aberystwyth Town a vital 2-0 victory over Cardiff Met at Park Avenue to ensure the fight for a Europa League Play Off place continues into March.

Cambrian News reported “Aber made the perfect start when Williams intercepted a clearance from Met keeper Alex Lang to open the scoring inside a minute – and the striker sealed victory after the hour with a low drive.

The win moved the Seasiders to within two points of Play-Off Conference leaders Met, with six matches of the regular season remaining, starting at home to Carmarthen a week on Friday, 8 March.

The omens looked good when ex-Llandudno striker Williams chased down a Met back pass and keeper Alex Lang’s clearance deflected off him into the net.

Met’s Adam Roscrow saw a shot blocked and Dylan Rees fired over, but the other end Paolo Mendes, who was having a super game in breaking up play, headed wide of goal from Wes Baynes’ free kick.

The ever dependable Ryan Wollacott denied Chris Baker a chance by clearing Roscrow’s dangerous cross, and Ash Ruane almost repeated Williams’ trick by chasing another backpass, to no avail.

With Aber sitting deep, livewire Geoff Kellaway was always a threat on the break, and when the imperious Williams won the ball to play him in, he clipped the post with a cute effort past Lang.

For Met, Emlyn Lewis’ cross was easy for keeper McCormick, and just before the break Elliott Evans’ was so close to equalising when his free kick from 30 yards brushed the top of the net.

Met tried to up the pace after the break, but Wollacott did well to block Will Evans, before Kyle McCarthy’s testing cross flashed across the goal, only for Elliott Evans to hit the outside of the post.

A well-organised Aber defended deep, but Met struggled to find space in the final third to create opportunities.

At the other end, Ruane found Williams, whose flying snapshot was deflected to safety, and Ryan Edwards’ effort flew wide, before Harry Owen’s low strike brought McCormick back into play.

Then, on 61 minutes, Williams intercepted the ball on the half way line and broke down the right, before firing a superb second goal low down into Lang’s bottom right hand corner, to give Aber the real scent of victory.

Aber had a penalty shout when Lewis, already on a yellow, tangled with Ruane in the box, but then McCormick pulled off a great save from Will Evans to safeguard the home side’s clean sheet.

Will Evans’ lob sailed over the bar with three minutes to go, but the job was done, and Aber had a crucial victory.

ABERYSTWYTH TOWN: T McCormick, W Baynes, S Edwards, R Wollacott, G Kellaway, P Mendes, M Williams, D Walker, R Edwards, M Jones, A Ruane (J McDaid 76’). Subs not used: A Walters (gk), C Jones, H Cottam, N Coleridge, C Morgan.

CARDIFF MET: A Lang, D Rees, K McCarthy, B Woolridge, E Lewis, E Evans (M Neale 82’), C Baker, A Roscrow, W Evans, G Williams (L Warman 70’), H Owen. Subs not used: G Howell, M Swindlehurst, D Phillips, W Fuller (gk). Referee: T Williams.

Attendance: 180″ here.