Cambrian News photographer - Aberystwyth striker Ashley Ruane keeps the ball from Bala’s Anthony Miley.

ABERYSTWYTH Town secured a superb 3-2 win over highly-rated Bala Town in a thrilling game in front of the television cameras at Park Avenue on Saturday.

Cambrian News reported “Geoff Kellaway had given Aber an interval lead, but sub Mike Hayes equalised midway through the second half, before Aber landed a late double blow as substitute Rio Ahmadi and Ashley Ruane secured all three points – despite Henry Jones netting last minute penalty kick.

Aber made two changes to the side defeated by The New Saints on Tuesday, with Geoff Kellaway and Joe Phillips replacing Alan Goodall and Rio Ahmadi.

Early chances saw Wes Baynes fire an effort well wide, and on 12 minutes Steff Edwards strode forward before putting a low cross into the six yard area, where Ruane was inches away from converting.

At the other end, Steven Tames crossed for Ian Sheridan, who was unable to convert, and the home side had to defend a succession of corners, but on 23 minutes Geoff Kellaway opened Aber’s account.

Controlling Wes Baynes’ throw-in on his chest, he swivelled and delivered a teasing left-footed cross across the penalty area, and keeper Ashley Morris, under pressure from Ruane, saw the ball to bounce into the far corner of his net.

Kellaway, who had made his 300th league appearance in midweek, continued to cause the visiting defence problems, and on 36 minutes the energetic Joe Phillips cut inside, before sending a right footed effort inches wide of the post.

Two minutes before the break, Bala’s Henry Jones unleashed a powerful strike that was excellently tipped over by Leigh Jenkins, but Joe Phillips again went close at the other end with a long range effort.

The Lakesiders came out for the second half in determined mood, with Steven Tames getting his head onto the end of Andrew Burns’ cross, only to be denied by an excellent reaction save by Jenkins.

Aber’s keeper then got a strong palm on Henry Jones’ curling free kick, and Stuart J Jones missed a chance from three yards out, when it appeared easier to score.

Alan Goodall replaced Joe Phillips in the Aber midfield on 67 minutes, but just seconds later the visitors equalised as Mike Hayes latched on to Sean Smith’s header before finishing brilliantly for 1-1.

Aber responded with wing man Ryan Edwards threatening down the left flank, and when he played in Goodall, the ball was flicked through for Kellaway, only for Bala keeper Morris to smother it.

Kellaway was replaced by Rio Ahmadi, and within minutes of his entrance, the number nine put the hosts back in front.

Edwards provided a deft back-heel for Matthew Jones on the left flank, who delivered a perfect cross with his right foot for Ahmadi to chest down and drill the ball into the bottom corner to make it 2-1.

The hosts weren’t done there, and on 87 minutes Ahmadi turned provider when he cut in from the right flank and delivered a sublime cross for Ashley Ruane to control, swivel and slam into the roof of the net for his first goal for the Seasiders.

The Lakesiders continued to search for a way back into the game, and as the game entered stoppage time, Henry Jones was adjudged to have thrown himself to the ground too easily by the referee, before the linesman’s intervention resulted in the awarding of a penalty for the visitors.

Aberaeron man Jones stepped up and converted, but Aber saw out the final minutes for a fine victory at Park Avenue.

ABERYSTWYTH: L Jenkins, W Baynes, S Edwards, R Wollacott, G Kellaway (R Ahmadi 74’), D Walker, R Edwards, L Jenkins, M Jones, A Ruane, J Phillips (A Goodall 67’). Subs: J Rimmer, P Mendes, N Blake, H Rowe, Berner.

BALA: A Morris, A Burns, S Smith, A Miley, S J Jones, N Burke, R Pearson, H Jones, I Sheridan, S Tames, D Gosset (M Hayes 64’). Subs not used: S Jones, R Valentine, K Smith, V Charles (gk), J Jones, J Edwards.

Attendance 344. Referee: David Morgan” here.