Cambrian News photographer - Aberystwyth Town scorer Porya Ahmadi.

ABERYSTWYTH Town’s second half fightback was not enough to avoid a sixth successive JD Welsh Premier League defeat as they lost 2-1 to Barry Town United at Jenner Park on Saturday night.

Cambrian News reported “A Momodou Touray brace inside the opening 20 minutes put the hosts in firm control, but a sumptuous second half strike by Rio Ahmadi gave Aber a lifeline.

There were three changes to the starting side after the defeat to Connah’s Quay, with Steff Edwards, Joe Phillips and Ash Ruane coming in to replace Jack Rimmer, and suspended duo Mathew Jones and Declan Walker.

Despite their attacking line-up, Aber started on the back foot and were behind within two minutes as Macauley Southam-Hales surged down the right flank before crossing for Mo Touray to slot home the opening goal.

It was yet another early goal conceded by the Seasiders, who faced an uphill battle to get back into the game against the high-flying hosts.

In fact, Barry doubled their lead on 19 minutes when Southam-Hales again broke free on the right flank and found Touray once more, who slotted his second goal.

Nev Powell’s men struggled to cope with Barry’s fluent passing and movement and despite a few corners, their first meaningful effort didn’t arrive until the 36th minute when Joe Phillips dribbled inside, before firing a right footed effort over.

Despite their poor first half showing, the visitors slowly edged their way back into the game after the break with Ash Ruane testing Lewis with a right-footed effort.

Lee Jenkins replaced Steff Edwards on the hour as Aber opted for a change of shape, and began to create better openings in the final third.

On 65 minutes, Ruane was fouled on the edge of the penalty area, setting up a free kick in an inviting position.

Ahmadi duly stepped up and curled a sublime right-footed effort into the top corner to reduce the deficit.

Aber’s supporters sensed there was a glimmer of hope, and just five minutes later they almost witnessed an equaliser as Joe Phillips cut inside and struck a low effort against the base of the post.

The Seasiders pressed further upfield, and on 75 minutes Ahmadi swivelled in the box and fired an effort inches over Mike Lewis’s crossbar.

On 81 minutes Nash Blake replaced Geoff Kellaway in a final throw of the dice, and with just minutes remaining Blake earned another free kick in a dangerous position on the edge of the area.

Ahmadi stepped up once more, but this time dragged his right footed effort wide of Lewis’ far post – and it looked like that might be that.

As the game entered stoppage time, Alan Goodall was given his marching orders after picking up his second yellow card, appearing to block Southam-Hales’ marauding run down the right flank, and Aber would leave Jenner Park empt-handed, despite a spirited second half effort.

BARRY TOWN: M Lewis, M Southam-Hales, L Cooper, C Watkins, C Hugh, T Greening, R Patten, T Fry (E Press 89’), K McLaggon, M Touray, L Gerrard (11. Drew Fahiya 68’). Subs not used: P Morgan, J Hood, L Kendall (gk), J Baker.

ABERYSTWYTH: T McCormick, W Baynes, S Edwards (L Jenkins 58’), A Goodall, R Wollacott, G Kellaway (N Blake 81’), P Mendes, P Ahmadi, R Edwards, A Ruane, J Phillips. Subs not used: H Rowe, L Berner.

Attendance: 489. Ref: R Jenkins” here.