Cambrian News photographer - Aberystwyth University’s Liam Powell in action at Abermule.

ABERYSTWYTH University did everything but score as they returned from a determined Abermule empty-handed following a 1-0 defeat in their Spar Mid Wales League division two encounter.

The Cambrian News reported “After trailing to a fortuitous goal from Dan Green, whose cross floated into the net, the students carved enough chances, but were met by some resilient defending.

Liam Powell went close in the first half, while Tom Francis and Rob Townsend spurned opportunities in the second period on a frustrating afternoon for the University team.

Despite the loss, in which they had a number of players missing, the Aberystwyth students remain joint third in the division two table, and are still well on course to beat last season’s points tally.

Builth Wells went back to the top of the second division and a step closer to promotion with a 7-0 win at Presteigne. It was a happy return for manager Chris Jones to his former stamping ground as Builth notched their biggest win of the season, with Richie Powell grabbing a hat-trick.

Adie Jones gave them a second minute lead with a deflected strike and Josh Price soon added a second after Richie Powel had squared the ball.

Powell headed number three from a corner, and Jones added his second to end the game as a contest before half-time.

Richie Powell twice went through one on one in the second half to complete his treble, before Jamie McIlroy completed the scoring for a rampant Builth.

Hay St Marys maintained their good form with two first half goals from Jack Biggs securing a 2-0 victory at Newbrdge.

Lyndon Jones went close with a free-kick for Newbridge, but it was Biggs who broke the deadlock after Tom Landon and Matty Tong combined.

Tong and the impressive Callum Maddy then set Biggs up for his second before half-time.

It was a different story in the second half, with Newbridge seeing a lot more of the ball after changing things around, but apart from Ollie Woods hitting a post, they never really threatened to get back in the game against a Saints defence well marshalled by Chris Preece.

In-form Brecon Northcote remain three points behind Hay with three games in hand after extending their unbeaten run to eight with a 5-1 home victory over Dolgellau.

Northcote, who are really coming to terms with life in a higher league following their promotion in the summer, made a blistering start and were three up in 12 minutes through Joel Evans, Craig Evans and Jack Evans.

Joel Evans capitalised on a defensive error to make it four on the half hour and Craig Evans added a fifth in the second half, before Joe Ephraim pulled one back for Dolgellau – who played the entire game with just 10 men.

Elsehwere, Talgarth Town’s trip to Montgomery Town was postponed. due to a frozen pitch” here.

Leave a Reply