Cambrian News photographer - Aberystwyth University's Tom Francis on the ball against Abermule.

MISSED chances returned to haunt Aberystwyth University, whose mixed start to their Spar Mid Wales League division two season continued with a 2-1 defeat at home against Abermule.

The Cambrian News reported “Despite carving plenty of opportunities, the students were left to reflect on more points slipping from their grasp, after being stunned by a 25-yard strike by Lewis Sim six minutes from time.

Defeat sees them with nine points from seven outings in division two, with three wins and four defeats.

Manager Sam Chapman, currently out for six weeks with a broken metatarsal, felt his side should have won, after taking the lead with a neat finish by Pablo de Torres on 15 minutes.

Abermule, however, hit back on 35 minutes when Lewis Sim was upended and Tommy Jones stepped up and brilliantly found the top corner with his left foot.

In the second half, Sim had a lot of joy down the right for Abermule, and with six minutes remaining, he received the ball almost 25 yards from goal and let fly with a wonderful strike, which found the top corner to secure maximum points.

“We created loads of chances, and ended up losing to a couple of worldies,” Chapman said. “We couldn’t believe how we lost, but we need to be more clinical and show more composure in front of goal.”

Despite the result, there were positives to take from a windswept game, with the defence looking solid and the midfield working well.

With several new faces this season, the team is continuing to gel as they prepare for two games this week, at home to Brecon Northcote on Saturday and away to Newbridge on Sunday.

Earlier in the week, last-gasp goals from debutant Hugo Laing and Ows Ap Gareth earned the students a 2-1 win at Hay St Mary’s.

Tom Landon had put the Saints 1-0 up, and they had several chances to seal victory, before the Uni scored in the 90th and 93rd minutes to claim all three points.

The Saints then notched a 2-2 draw at Montgomery Town in blustery conditions on Saturday, having been 2-0 down early in the game.

Stu Buckley Robins and Lee Jones had put Monty two goals ahead, but the Saints’ top scorer Tom Landon pulled one back with a fine strike from 20 yards out, after Matty Tong’s shot was blocked on the line.

The equaliser came in the 74th minute, when good build up play saw Darren Horrigan pass to Tong on the edge of the area, and he fire home a good strike.

New signing and man of the match Jack Biggs nearly won it for the Saints when his curling effort from 35 yards went just inches past the post in the 88th minute.

Goals from Ollie Woods and Aeron Powell, with a brace, earned Newbridge a 3-1 win over Talgarth Town, who had taken the lead through Harry Sharman.

On Friday night, second-placed Presteigne had been frustrated in a 2-2 draw against Brecon Northcote.

The visitors took a first-half lead through Joe Evans, but Presteigne turned things around before half-time.

Euan Rhodes equalised, and Matt Strangwood put Presteigne in front, only for Brecon to secure their point when Craig Evans levelled with 15 minutes remaining.

Unbeaten Builth Wells meanwhile moved six points clear at the top of the division two table with a 4-1 home win over Penybont.

Richie Powell opened the scoring with a cross cum shot, but Sion Hermon headed Penybont level before half-time.

Powell regained the lead with a header in the second half, and then provided the cross which led to an own goal, before Josh Price rounded the ‘keeper to complete a convincing win.

• In division one, Churchstoke beat Machynlleth 6-3, with Joe Haycock and Tony Meredith scoring twice, along with singles by Omer Ali Bozdag and Neil Yapp.

Machynlleth, who were 3-0 down at the interval, hit back in th second half with two goals from Callum Page and one from Benj Davies.

Goals from Aled Jones and Kevin Evans earned Tywyn/Bryncrug a 2-1 win over Llandrindod Wells, with Kieran McCarley finding the net for the visitors.

The scheduled matches between Aberaeron and Kerry, and Welshpool and Borth United were both called off due to the adverse weather” here.

Leave a Reply