Cambrian News photographer - Aberystwyth’s Mark Jones and Cefn Druids’ Adam Hesp last Saturday.

ABERYSTWYTH Town could take heart from their clean sheet in a much-improved performance, but will hope that their failure to score against Cefn Druids does not return to haunt them at the season’s end.

The Cambrian News reported “The Seasiders hit the crossbar twice in the second half, but the breakthrough just wouldn’t come as they had to settle for just a share of the points at Park Avenue.

The clean sheet, however, will give big encouragement to interim manager Wayne Jones, and provide a good foundation to build on ahead of their next match away at Llandudno a week on Sunday.

After manager Matthew Bishop had been asked to step aside during the week, assistant Jones took charge of the side with locals Cledan Davies and Jack Rimmer both returning to the starting eleven.

The Seasiders started at a high tempo and felt that they had a huge shout for a penalty rejected within the first minute, when Mark Jones appeared to be felled.

Jones tested visiting keeper Michael Jones with a low shot, but then just as the hosts seemed to be getting on top they had a big let off when Michael Pritchard’s header from the impressive Stuart Cook’s cross glanced inches wide of the far post.

Aberystwyth continued to press forward, and with Jones encouraging them from the dug out they were looking good.

Chris Mullock was called on to make a smart stop to deny Ellis Healing, and the follow up, but Jones then set up Borrelli down the right, who in turn brought a save from keeper Jones at the other end.

An exciting game saw left winger Naim Arsan send an effort off target for the visitors, but then Aber midfielder Malcolm Melvin scooped the ball just over the bar, having been set up by Geoff Kellaway.

Borrelli then played Jones in with a cross field ball, and his shot skewed just wide, but despite both sides trying hard to score defences were on top at half time, with Sam Rodon and Ryan Wollacott and standing firm in the heart of the back line.

The Seasiders continued to battle hard after the break, and they threatened with chance after chance falling their way.

Borrelli’s lob was easy for Jones to claim, as was another attempt moments after.

Frontrunner Borrelli then scooped the ball just over the bar from Cledan Davies’ cross, before crossing himself for Jones to hit the crossbar with a header, and then go inches just wide with the rebound.

Druids’ goal was living a charmed life, with Borrelli yet again denied by Jones who tapped his curling effort onto the crossbar for a spectacular save, and Jones headed wide from the resulting corner.

A goal seemed inevitable, with wave after wave of attacks, and Rodon had a header saved and then the luckless Borrelli was yet again denied by keeper Jones, before sending the rebound just wide.

Druids had a few chances to exact the cruellest punishment on the unlucky hosts with a few late free kicks being boomed into the penalty box, but Aber’s defence held firm and when Jordan Barrow felled sub John Owen in the 93rd minute, his second yellow card was inevitable.

Druids’ equally well drilled defence repelled Davies’ dangerous ball in, and there were mixed emotions among Aber supporters as the game ended goal less.

ABERYSTWYTH: C Mullock, D Rees, C Davies, S Rodon, G Kellaway (J Owen 82), 11. L Borrelli, R Wollacott, J Rimmer (J Crowther 84’), M Melvin, D Alfei, M Jones. Sub not used: D Jones.

CEFN DRUIDS: M Jones, A Hesp, M Eckersley, J Barrow, S Cook, M Pritchard, E Healing (J Taylor 87), N Peate, N Arsan, C Roper, A Ruane (S Blenkinsop 87).Subs not used: J Jones, F Hajdari, F Casaretto. Att: 223. Referee: T Williams” here.

Leave a Reply